I am probably one of the few who bought this poop spray for myself because I actually looked forward to using it at home and when traveling.
Seriously. I can’t stand the smell after using aerosol air fresheners in the bathroom. And I’m not crazy about that light, sticky film that lingers on everything in the room after spraying aerosols into the air either.
The good news is it’s totally normal for your poop to smell. We have the many sulfurous compounds that end up in stool to thank for the stinky scent.
Research even suggests that evolution has primed us to be disgusted by the smell of fecal matter as a way to avoid infectious diseases.
Apart from just turning on the fan, there are a dizzying number of products that claim to cover up potent poo smells, and a number of tricks to try, as well.
But, because little science-backed research has been done on the subject, we decided to be the guinea pigs. We tested out seven common methods for eliminating bathroom odors to uncover what you should use next time you find yourself in a stinky situation.
10 Best Bathroom Sprays of 2020
- Spritz the bowl before-you-go and no one else will ever know; our most popular scent! When life gives you lemons, give ’em right back! Poo~Pourri Original Citrus is an uplifting blend of lemon, bergamot and lemongrass natural essential oils.
- The original non-toxic before-you-go toilet spray that stops bathroom odors before they ever begin - seriously! No more trying to mask odor already in the air!
- Scientifically-tested formula made of essential oils and other natural compounds; no harsh chemicals, aerosol, parabens, phthalates, or formaldehyde; all stink-fighting good stuff.
- Made in the good ole USA; up to 200 uses in the 4 oz bottle.
- Why spray chemicals when you can spritz botanicals? Unique all-natural essential oils formula helps your home beyond the bathroom – use it to combat strong laundry, nursery and trash bin odors too!
- Spritz the bowl before-you-go and no one else will ever know; our most popular scent! original citrus is an uplifting blend of lemon, bergamot and lemongrass natural essential oils
- The original non-toxic before-you-go toilet spray that stops bathroom odors before they ever begin - seriously! no more trying to mask odor already in the air
- Scientifically-tested formula made of essential oils and other natural compounds; no harsh chemicals, aerosol, parabens, phthalates, or formaldehyde; all stink-fighting good stuff
- Keeps nasty smells in your bowl
- Releases divine fragrance
- Lavender scent
- The original Before-You-Go toilet spray that stops bathroom odors before they ever begin - Seriously! no more trying to mask odor already in the air
- Spritz the bowl Before-You-Go and no one else will ever know Scientifically-tested Formula Made of essential oils and other natural compounds; no harsh chemicals, aerosol, parabens, Phthalates, or formaldehyde; all stink-fighting good stuff
- 16 ounce refill bottle (up to 800 applications) Up to 3-5 Uses in the 4 ml tester
- KEEP NASTY SMELLS IN YOUR BOWL: Creates a layer that traps embarrassing odors in the bowl before they escape
- ODOR FREE: backed by our odor free guarantee
- LASTS UP TO 300 SPRAYS: For 100 uses per bottle
- CONTAINS ESSENTIAL OILS: Releases a pleasant fragrance in the air
- MAKES A GREAT GIFT: Friends and family will love it!
- POO POURRI TOILET SPRAY - Set includes (5) 1.4 oz bottles from the following scents: (1) royal flush, (1) lavender vanilla, (1) original citrus, (1) ship happens and (1) tropical hibiscus
- SCENTS - Royal Flush: eucalyptus and spearmint. Lavender Vanilla: lavender, vanilla and citrus. Original Citrus: lemon bergamot and lemongrass. Ship Happens: coconut freesia & citrus. Tropical Hibiscus: hibiscus, apricot and citrus. All essential oils
- GET RID OF THE ODOR - Spray before you go and eliminate bathroom odor before it begins by trapping unpleasant odors beneath the surface and keeping them out of the air
- SHAME NO MORE - Use it discreetly at a friend's, on the plane, at work or anywhere else so no one can blame you for the smell
- LONG LASTING - Each 1.4 oz bottle has up to 70 uses, 5 bottles you get 350 uses!
- Spritz the Bowl Before-You-Go and No One Else Will Ever Know!
- The ORIGINAL Before-You-Go Toilet Spray that stops bathroom odors before they ever begin - seriously! No more trying to mask odor already in the air
- Scientifically-tested formula made of essential oils and other natural compounds; NO harsh chemicals, aerosol, parabens, phthalates, or formaldehyde; All stink-fighting good stuff!
- Made in the good old USA
- Up to 100 uses in the 2-ounce bottle
- Keeps nasty smells in your bowl
- Releases divine fragrance
- Lemon scent
- Spritz the bowl before-you-go and no one else will ever know
- The original before-you-go toilet spray that stops bathroom odors before they ever begin - seriously
- Scientifically-tested formula made of essential oils and other natural compounds
- Made in the good old USA
- Up to 200 uses in the 4-ounce bottle
Bathroom deodorizers are the most grossly underappreciated inventions of all time, aren’t they? All it takes is a quick spritz to save yourself from being the butt of endless fart jokes (enjoy the irony).
But here’s the catch: instead of eliminating the odor from air, most toilet fresheners can only mask it. These products use a musky, overpowering perfume which some people find very suffocating. New-age toilet air fresheners like Poo Pourri have a very different M.O.
Rather than covering up the awful smell of nature’s call, these sprays keep the odor trapped under the surface of the toilet bowl. Poo Pourri is a blend of natural essential oils that are meant to be sprayed onto your toilet bowl right before you drop the load.
Do it and your toilet will smell like real potpourri for about 10-15 minutes after flushing. At least that’s what the manufacturer promises. But does it really make any difference? How is it any different from homemade essential oil blends or cheaper toilet deodorizer brands?
Why Am I Crazy About Poo-Pourri?
I am hyper-picky about my bathroom. If it’s not spotless and smelling minty fresh, it’s the end of the world for me. The cleanliness freak in me begins to lose her shit every time I am about to have guests in my house.
You know how things can get pretty ugly (and smelly) in the toilet after the Thanksgiving dinner or a Friday night party. Relate, much?
So anyhoo, I had tried a plethora of toilet fresheners before but none of them could outclass Poo Pourri. Make no mistake, I was just skeptical as you are right now about this product. While I found their YouTube ad hilarious, I wasn’t sure how it is any different than regular toilet sprays.
Poo Pourri manufacturers claim that their patented concentrated formula consisting of various natural oils makes all the difference.
The “before-you-go” spray form a thick layer of film on the water surface which prevents the odor from getting out and spreading in the air. The concept made sense to me, so I decided to give it a go. I agree that for a toilet deodorizer, the stuff is a bit costly. But since it actually does what it claims to do, I’m happy to pay the price.
Exactly How Effective is Poo-Pourri?
The idea of trapping the maleficent poop smell inside the toilet bowl sounds quite interesting. But is it practical?
I did a little research and as it turns out, you actually can keep the stink contained where it belongs with the help of essential oils. Here’s how it works:
When you release the malodorous waste from your motorhome, it breaks into millions of microscopic particles in the toilet bowl. Some of the particles move up and mix into the air, making the loo smell awful.
When you spray Poo Pourri right above the water surface, it builds a sticky layer of essential oils above the water. Now, we all know that oil has a lower permeability than water.
Therefore, the essential oil concentration of Poo Pourri can naturally prevent the microscopic particles from being released into the air. The strongest Poo Pourri scents such as the Original Citrus and Rose Geranium can linger on for 15 minutes after flushing.
Currently, Poo Pourri has 30 different scents available. So far, I have tried the tiny 1.4-ounce bottles of all the scents to figure which one I like the most.
I have to admit that each and every variant carries a reasonably powerful, refreshing and distinctly unique scent. Just a few quick spritzes are enough to hide the disgusting smell of public bathrooms without raising a ruckus.
Are There Any Possible Drawbacks?
The product itself is amazing and effectively serves the purpose. The only bugbear for me and many other customers is the design of the spray nozzle. More often than not, it leaks and the formula gets on your fingers. Sometimes getting the solution out of the bottle is a real struggle. Poo Pourri folks, if you are reading this, do something about it. Will you?
Is for Poo-Pourri Completely Safe to Use?
For humans, yes it is. Unlike regular toilet fresher sprays, Poo Pourri doesn’t contain aerosol, formaldehyde, paraben, ethanol, phthalates, benzene, petroleum distillates or any harsh chemical for that matter.
Instead of all that crap, Poo Pourri only uses an array of essential oils to keep your bathroom air smelling fresh and natural. Essential oils have been used in aromatherapy for ages, therefore, safety is the last thing you need to worry about.
But what about the septic tank? Are we supposed to put essential oils in the septic system? The answer is no. Doing so can drastically affect the ecological balance of the septic tank. However, a light mist of natural oils into the plumbing system won’t make any difference.
When you flush the toilet, the force and sheer volume of water will dilute the oil too much. Hence, it will be ineffective inside the tank and won’t cause any harm.
So go ahead, spritz some Poo Pourri, release your burden and walk out of the toilet with your head held high. Be the toilet saint this shitty world so desperately needs.
Best Air Fresheners For Bathroom Smells
We’ve all read the book and we know it’s true — everybody poops. In the past, your only option to combat toilet stink was to spray some exaggerated floral scent over the whole mess. Thankfully, the best air fresheners for bathroom smells fight odors and leave your lavatory smelling fresh and clean without being overwhelming.
Part of the genius of some of these air fresheners is that they prevent bad smells from starting in the first place. There’s even a spray that goes into your toilet bowl and traps all the odor molecules before they can escape. It’s like your number two never happened. It works so well, you could claim your poo don’t stink and everyone would simply have to believe you.
And the pre-poo spray’s not your only option. There are tons of ways to keep your bathroom smelling clean, like natural sprays that gently mask odors, odor absorbing gels, and even a cute kitty candle that neutralizes any bad scent that found its way to your bathroom.
The bottom line is toilet odors happen. But, if you’d like to add some pleasant scents to your bathroom, these pleasantly-scented products will make a stinky washroom a thing of the past.
Best toilet freshener in 2020
A lot of people avoid using the bathroom when they are not at home because they are embarrassed by the natural smell related to using the toilet. Back in the day, people thought that they can eliminate the bad odor in the bathroom by spraying some floral scent.
But actually combining an overpowering good odor with a bad smell gives out a bad combination. This is why you need the best toilet freshener to eliminate all the bad odors and keep your bathroom smelling fresh.
An overwhelming good smell is not a good thing. It might not be as bad as a bad bathroom odor but it is still annoying. Good bathroom fresheners are designed to prevent the accumulation of bad odors in the first place. You don’t have to feel embarrassed or worry about what people will think if they decide to use the bathroom after you.
If you really want your bathroom to smell fresh and clean, then you need to make sure that you are buying good odor absorbing product that will make your bathroom smell fresh and clean all the time. This article highlights some of the best products on the market and helps you choose the right one to buy.
How to Choose the Best Toilet Freshener?
If you are shopping for the best bathroom scents, you might get slightly overwhelmed by the number of options available. There are a lot of products that you can choose from and picking the right one can be a real challenge. Here are some features that you need to pay attention to while picking a product that will keep your bathroom fresh.
Type of Product:
Toilet fresheners come in the form of sprays, gel beads or powder. Your choice depends on your personal preference and the unique features of each product. Your spray is going to last depending on how often you are going to use it.
Most sprays are made using essential oils that smell good and last for long but they might be a little bit too strong if you are allergic or if you have any pets in the house. Sprays can also be easier to use around the house or even when you are on the go.
Gel beads and pearls will absorb the bad odor and spread good smell. You usually don’t have to worry about using the freshener because it releases the fresh smell on its own. Some products don’t give out any smells but simply absorb all the bad odors and they are perfect to use around kids, pets, and people who suffer from allergies.
You need to make sure that your product can get rid of bad odors before spreading a fresh smell. As a matter of fact, masking a bad odor with a good one can result in a killer combination that smells just as bad. Some products have natural ingredients that are known to dissolve the particles of bad odor and replace them with refreshing ones that are not overpowering.
If you are usually worried about using the toilet at someone’s house, then you need to pick a portable toilet freshener. A little bottle that can fit in your purse or backpack can save you a lot of embarrassment. You should make sure that your bottle is safe to use and won’t leak or cause any stains.
This is an extra feature that you would like to have in your toilet freshener. A product that disinfects your toilet bowl is a good value for the money because you will be using the same product for 2 jobs. Look for a toilet freshener that gets rid of the bacteria that causes the spread of bad odor in the bathroom to keep it clean and fresh.
The best toilet freshener will make your bathroom smell fresh and clean even if you’ve just used it. Choosing a good product will save you a lot of unnecessary embarrassment and help you feel confident whether you are inviting people over or visiting someone for the first time.
There are a lot of nice products on the market and it takes a little research to pick the right one for you. In this article, we reviewed 10 of the best-selling products on the market so you can pick the one that you like the most.
- 10 Best Bathroom Sprays of 2020
- Why Am I Crazy About Poo-Pourri?
- Exactly How Effective is Poo-Pourri?
- Are There Any Possible Drawbacks?
- Best Air Fresheners For Bathroom Smells
- Best toilet freshener in 2020
- How to Choose the Best Toilet Freshener?